Om Namah Shivaya

Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Kids, I have something to tell you, part 2"


And then the time comes to tell the Band. Yesterday, after their final to be precise. If it's possible I was even more nervous about telling the Band, don't know why but I was. In all honesty I really really felt like I was going to vomit, but thankfully I didn't. ;)

As I was looking around the room, and as the words "I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Stage 1C Infiltrating Ducatal Carcinoma" I felt as though I was having an out of body experience. Everyone was kind of staring at me with this look of shock, mouths halfway open, some holding their hands in a prayer position, and I think I heard a few sniffles around the room.

I told them that everything is going to be okay and that it's just going to be one b!tch of a year for me and then I told them that I most likely am going to lose my hair, and I must admit I lost it a bit there. I became very serious with the girls telling them to become familiar with their boobies if they aren't already because early detection truly is key. I even told the guys to be familiar with theirs cause it happens to men as well. I told them the plan so far, and everything I knew up till to that point then asked if they could either put me on their prayer list at church or at least just send up some good positive vibes into the universe.

I'm sure they'll do both cause I know they'll help pull me through as well. They're a great group of kids and I love each and every one of them.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Mrs. Stout,
    You have no idea how shocked I was when you told me about your cancer during advisement at school. I've had family members who've had breast cancer before, but I've never known anyone as young as you who has had breast cancer before. I guess in my mind I always pictured breast cancer as something you worried about later on in life. This just goes to show that things can happen that you don't expect and how important it is to get frequent checkups at the doctor's office. If there's anything you want me to do Mrs. Stout, just e-mail me. I'll still be around. You're awesome Mrs. Stout; I love ya to death,
    Austin =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you austin. i really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete