Om Namah Shivaya

Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Starin' down the barrel of Chemo #5


and hanging out with my accessed port. It's hard to believe that I'm almost done with chemo and that before I know it, it'll be time for the mastectomy. The memories of finding the lump, then being told it's cancer are still so fresh in my mind yet feel so very far away. When they told me I had cancer and then when they told me I had to go through chemo I remember thinking "How in the world am I going to get through this?" and now that this journey is almost halfway over (part one: chemo, part two: new boobies) I know that I can get through everything.

Yesterday's doctor's appointment went well. Although my platelets and hemoglobin are down a tad, it's nothing to worry about. I loved the conversation I had with Lori (Dr. Sharma's nurse practitioner) about this yesterday.

Me: "So Lori, what can I do physicaly or nutrition wise to bring the platelets back up?"
Lori: "Most likely your platelets will be back up by tomorrow but blueberries have been known to raise the levels, so you could eat some blueberries tonight and tomorrow. That might help."

I just looked at her...

Lori: "What's that look for? You don't like blueberries?"
Me: "No, it's just that I ate blueberries in a smoothie every morning for years to help reduce the risk of cancer and obviously *that* didn't work!" *laugh*

Hahaha...funny.

Anyways, here I am in the chair at the cancer center waiting for Sue (SO glad I have Sue again!!!) to bring me my pre-meds then hook me up to the chemo. Only one more after this...one more...one more...I can't wait for it to be done.

The one bummer part about today's chemo is that I do have to miss our very first football game tonight and Tim (and Sue) both told me to do NOTHING this weekend. So, Bluntski I'm sorry I won't be coming by your bday party tomorrow night. LOVE YOU AND WELCOME TO THE DIRTY THIRTIES!!!!!

I hope to see some good highlights on TV tonight and good reports from folks on the Drum Line and the Band. Enjoy the assembly at school hope the Drum Line rocks your socks off! Go Eagles!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment