Om Namah Shivaya

Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Art of Being a Teacher...











everyone should read this... http://theartofbeingblunt.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-boobies-belong-in-national.html

My friend, Blunt, is an inspiration to me. She inspires me to be a better person, teacher, and friend. I am continually challenging my children at school to be better in all that they do. To realize that there is the speech they use with their friends, and speech they use in the real world. To realize that the way they dress DOES make society look upon them in a certain manner. To realize that being a black male is an incredibly powerful thing and they should use that power for the better. To realize that being a black female is also an incredibly powerful thing and that they should use that power for the better as well; and to realize that I'm just a crazy white lady trying to make a difference in this world.

Take a part in your child's education, your neighbor's child's education, the child in the convenience store that you don't know but who is using such atrocious grammar and is dressed like a thug or common prostitute that you can't help but get involved. For that matter...PARENTS!!! Parents, parents, parents...PLEASE do the education system, the world, yourselves, but most importantly your children a favor and educate your children in how to act appropriately, dress appropriately, speak appropriately, and educate them to realize that although our system is *way* behind the way that they learn right now, instead of fighting the system they can help to change it. Help them realize that reading is not only good for them but can be FUN! READ TO THEM WHEN THEY'RE LITTLE! Don't just plunk them down in front of the TV and stick a video game controller in their hand. That's not doing *anyone* in this world any good. Be present at your child's activities at school. HELP at school. Like Blunt says in her post, teaching is an incredibly exhausting (physically, emotionally, and mentally as well as financially) career and we could use some help. Whether that be financially or by just donating your time; we could use the help. I know I don't have near enough hours in my day to get done everything I need to get done and especially w/this cancer stupidness I could use more help than I ever have in the past.

Anyways...read her blog post and help make a change. WE can make a difference but we have to stop fighting with one another over the breakdown in the system and start working together to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment